Saturday 24 December 2011

Beauty and the Geek

You can't just throw on a pair of cheapo 3D glasses that you've popped the lenses out of and instantly become a geek. Glasses are not a sign of intelligence... especially glasses without lenses which then technically aren't even glasses. They are just plastic frames. Similarly, you can't just throw on a tight, body-hugging dress, heels and make up and call yourself a 'beauty'. I know I'm just picking the carcass of the 'beauty and the geek' themed parties that are trending but what I'm trying to say can be translated onto a larger scale in society which are its perceptions of intelligence and beauty. You can have the longest hair, most symmetrical face, the longest legs and   the nicest ass (if they are even the most idealistic physical features? I don't know) but at the end of the day, if you have no respect for yourself and/or others then nobody is going to think you are beautiful. Well, not people with substance and a brain themselves. But what I hate more than anything is people who are in actual fact smart and hide it by putting on a ditzy, bimbo show. Why go through such efforts to mask your intelligence? Is it so shameful to be smart? Is it a part of a transparent facade to fit in? Well let's just see how many of your "stupid" friends end up working for somebody smart. To summarise, not all intelligent people (a.k.a "geeks" or "nerds" in this screwed up society) lack a good physical demeanour which disables them from sight, makes them have to wear suspenders with their pants or deprives them of the ability to undergo rigorous physical activity. I guess I'm just offended when my friends and peers receive certificates for their academic excellence and there is a group of future wife-beaters snickering among themselves at the back. Let's just say that the Government ain't gon' be able to keep this dole going forever, eh? That's what gives me a piece of mind when I go to bed at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment