Monday 2 January 2012

I guess it's the thought that counts?

I remember when I was little, I would walk into the chocolates and confectionery section and look up at the beautiful, little, chocolate balls wrapped in super shiny gold foil (girls like shiny things, actually, every young child likes shiny things). They would be encased in a plastic box that almost looked like glass to an ignorant little girl. They were "expensive" back in the day and when people gave them to you as a gift, you would go ooooooh, ahhhhhhhh. But now you can buy two giant ass boxes of the stuff from coles for $20 (give or take a few dollars). Now, when you are dumbstruck as to what to get for someone as a little gift to say something like 'thank you', the Ferrero Rochers cannot be a last resort. They no longer have the elegant lustre about them. This is upsetting because I remember when relatives and friends would give me a box of the chocolatey goodness, I would be over the moon as a little kid. If something as simple as this as already lost its worth, what's next? The new generation are practically born with iPods and iPhones in hand (is it sad that I have neither of these?) and we'll be the 80 year old grandmas texting on our lame, last century phones whilst our grandchildren and possibly great grandchildren glare at us with scrutiny as to how non-technologically inclined we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment