Friday 1 July 2011

"finding yourself"

Due to recent circumstances I have been confused with what I want to do with my life. With all the work experience and subject selection talk, I've questioned what I want to do after high school. I've always wanted to be a lawyer ever since I realised I was somewhat decent at English and enjoyed it and high school has reinforced that a lot - I've never fully understood science and I have to study my ass off for maths. But I have also developed new passions. I have grown a fondness with animals so I have been contemplating a career to do with that but I've also learnt about people who have speech problems and I realised how many people I meet with speech problems so I wanted to do speech pathology. But I also want to work in special education because I have a little cousin who has a mild form of autism. I love talking to him and teaching him new things. I have a soft spot for these causes and would be happy with helping these people for the rest of my life - too bad I have Asian parents. But then again, my parents aren't even that Asian. They've never told me what to do in terms of my career. They've never said that I have have have have to be a doctor (like a majority of my friends). On Wednesday night, my mum and I were discussing this and I asked her openly what she wanted me to be. She told me she wanted me to be a lawyer because she thinks I would be good at it. And for everybody that is feeling really unmotivated with life right now, my mum said a very smart thing (I don't know if she made it up or stole it from somewhere, she probably stole it) but she said to me "Work hard now or work hard for the rest of your life".

So I guess I "found" a part of myself. Ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment