Monday 20 June 2011

neighbours

As I was coming home from work at about 7.20 ish and my dad was driving up our street, one of the house alarms of the houses was blaring like a police siren, it was MEGA loud man. It's funny because nearly everybody opened their fronts doors to check it out and once they discovered the cause of the mass noise pollution, they just sighed, shut their doors and went back to their lives (okay, maybe they didn't 'sigh' but whatever). I'm not gonna hate on them because my dad didn't stop to do anything, he just kept driving, but it made me think, you know? In the old days, neighbours were so well acquainted with each other! Having morning tea together, making jam and marmalade (okay, maybe I've been watching too much American TV) but seriously! How well do you know your neighbours?! You live with these people for most and if not, your entire life, and yet you make no effort to get to know them. Maybe it's just me. I don't know. I considered my old neighbours to be well acquainted with my family and yet all we did were exchange wine and fine chocolates at Christmas. We are too busy and preoccupied with our own hectic lives that we can't even manage to give 2 minutes a day to the people 'closest' to us (see what I did there hohohohoho).

No comments:

Post a Comment